Tips for Deciding on the Best Detergent for Baby Clothes
As a new parent, it can be overwhelming making sure your new bundle of joy is fully protected in every way possible. You only want the best for your baby, right?
There are many decisions new moms must make in caring for their child. One of these decisions is deciding on the best detergent for baby clothes.
Unfortunately, regular detergents are full of chemicals too harsh for a baby’s delicate skin. Armed with the valuable information and tips below, you will be fully prepared to purchase the right detergent so the health of your little one is protected.
Why Should Parents Never Use Regular Detergents to Wash Baby Clothes?
What many parents do not realize is that all detergents leave a film behind on clothing. Though the film cannot be seen, it is there hiding among the fibers of the clothing, bedding, or soft toy.
Unfortunately, this film is often full of chemicals that can not only irritate a baby’s skin but can also cause their health to be at risk. Some detergents have been found to cause problems in the endocrine system.
Thankfully, there are laundry detergents for infants on the market that are gentle to the skin and will not cause the health concerns created by some regular detergents. They will even make for great baby shower gifts that every mom will appreciate!
It is important for moms and dads to carefully research and learn all they can about the different laundry detergents that are specifically made for washing baby clothes. Through research, parents can rest assured they will be able to properly clean their baby’s clothing without placing them in harm.
What Should Parents Look for When Choosing Baby Clothes Detergent?
When it comes to choosing the best detergent for baby clothes or even the best smelling detergents for that matter, there are three main factors to look for. A good detergent should meet all three areas so a parent can be assured their baby will not suffer from any irritation or health concerns.
- The detergent should be made specifically for babies so it is gentle against their skin. Since a baby has much more sensitive skin than an adult, they are more prone to developing skin irritation and rashes.
- Baby detergent must be free of chemical additives and toxins such as petroleum, benzene, phthalates, and BPA (Bisphenol A). You should carefully check the ingredients and research each one to ensure it is safe for you child before buying.
- Even though the baby detergent needs to be safe and gentle, it also needs to be effective in removing stains. If you hadn't had the pleasure of experiencing it firsthand yet, babies make a LOT of mess and and effective detergent is crucial for saving clothes.
What are the Top Baby Detergents Available on the Market?
There are countless detergents on the market that are labeled as being just for baby clothing. Unfortunately, this label does not always equate to a safe and effective detergent.
There are five detergents I have been found to be very safe and effective. These have become tried and true detergents I recommend to all of my friends with young ones.
- Charlie’s Soap is a laundry detergent powder that is not specifically marketed for babies but is perfect for people of all ages. This soap is free of chemicals and toxins and will not irritate a baby’s skin. This soap is especially beneficial for washing cloth baby diapers.
- Biokleen Laundry Liquid is free of chemicals, fragrance, and dyes. This detergent is perfect for gently washing baby clothes. Not only does it prevent skin irritation but it is also effective in removing all types of baby stains on clothing.
- Eco-Me is a completely natural laundry detergent that is safe for newborns. This detergent contains no chemicals, dyes, or fragrance which can cause a baby’s skin to become irritated and inflamed. This plant-based detergent is perfect for people of all ages.
- Seventh Generation Free & Clear is another baby detergent that is considered the best baby laundry detergent. This detergent will not cause any irritation to sensitive skin and is made from 96% plant-based materials.
- Dropps offers a convenient pod that one can simply toss in the wash. This detergent is free of any enzymes, fragrances, dyes, or chemicals that can interfere with the health of a baby’s skin.
Wash Your Kiddos' Clothes in Peace
Check out these five baby detergent brands to see which one you prefer. Though it can be difficult making a decision, careful research makes it much easier. Just try out a couple of them and see what works best for you!
With the right detergent, you can rest assured your baby’s clothing, bedding, and toys are carefully cleaned without leaving behind a film that is full of chemicals that irritate the skin. You will enjoy lulling your baby to sleep in their clean & cute outfits!