Best Dishwashers For Your Home in 2014
Have you recently moved into an apartment or small home and noticed that there is not a dishwasher? It seems like there’s a never ending pile of plates, bowls, and glasses quickly filling up in your sink. Or, maybe you do have a dishwasher, and it is really running poorly. The dishes are filmy with those unsightly hard water stains, not to mention the caked-on greasy food that is still there. It would be so wonderful to see shiny, spot-free dishes. Well, not to worry! There are many affordable options on Amazon. In this article, we will outline some of the best dishwasher for your home. First, here are a few factors that should be considered first:
- Cost—Is this dishwasher within my budget range?
- Efficiency—Does this dishwasher run smoothly? What is the noise level?
- Cleaning Quality–Are the dishes spotless after a wash?
- Carrying Capacity—How many dishes are able to fit inside the unit? Is this dishwasher a good option for two people or for a four to six person family?
- Amount of Energy—Does this dishwasher use a lot of heat during a wash cycle? Will you save money on electric bills?
- Delivery—Is the shipment of the product fast and reliable? Is the product well-packaged? Are there any defects on the product?
After considering these questions, you can view the following products to see which one best fits your needs:
SPT Countertop Dishwasher White
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
- Good choice for someone who is on a budget
- Saves space in your kitchen
- Can choose from six different wash cycles
- Very sturdy—a durable stainless interior
- Economical—save money on electric bills; Energy Star certified
- Perfect for apartments, small kitchens
- Sparkling dishes—one customer said that all the scorching came off the bottom of the pot
- Easy to install—installation manual is very helpful
- Many dishes are able to fit on the racks
- Heavy duty wash has a lot of cycles; it also sits for a long time in between cycles
- The unit is heavy to lift—this would really strain a person who has back problems. Find someone to help you with the lifting!
- This dishwasher is NOT ideal for a family of four—would have to use it too many times during the day.
Overall, this is one of the best dishwashers in the market. It delivers sparkling dishes as promised. It is well worth the investment if you have two to three people in your household. This dishwasher is sturdy and will give you satisfaction for years to come.
Koldfront 6 Place Setting Portable Countertop Dishwasher—Black
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
- Saves energy—uses 200 kilowatt hours per year. That’s 61% less energy than similar countertop dishwashers!
- Conserves water
- Cleans really well, even on the two lightest cycles
- Large enough for a good-sized load
- Perfect for apartments
- Does not clean dried, caked-on food on dishes that well—a few customers had to rinse dishes really well before loading dishwasher.
- Racks are quite difficult to load
- One customer had water leaking underneath the dishwasher after two and a half weeks. This is, however, one isolated case.
The Koldfront dishwasher will definitely put a smile on your face when you see the electric bills! It is very affordable and well worth giving a try. Many customers were happy with the cleaning quality, and it will be a relief to be able to put all of your dirty dishes in at once for a wash. That means no more having to divide into two or three different loads of dishes for washing. The only problem to be aware of for this dishwasher is the harder to clean pots on casserole dishes and plates—make sure to rinse these first before loading. If pre-rinsing dishes is inconvenient for you, this dishwasher is probably not a good choice.
Maytag MDC4809PAW JetClean Plus 24” White Portable Full Console Dishwasher Energy Star
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
- Motor—it has twice the average life-expectancy of other dishwashers!
- Runs very quietly
- If you are in a hurry, can run a one-hour wash cycle
- Rolls easily; hose attachment hooks easily to sink—just attach to nozzle and plug in the machine
- Excellent cleaning quality
- Wooden countertop provides extra counterspace
- Uses more energy—the dishwasher can get very hot during a cycle. However, the dishes are dry by the end of the cycle.
All in all, for such high price tag the Maytag does not disappoint. It’s easily the best dishwasher in our list.
You will feel great knowing that this dishwasher is guaranteed to last a long time with its high-quality motor. It’s also a relief knowing you can save much needed time on washing dishes by hand. However, if energy consumption is a very important factor to you, this dishwasher will not save you extra money on electric bills. It is a passable option, though, for most consumers.
Edge Star 6 Place Setting Countertop Portable Dishwasher—Silver
Overall Rating: 4 stars
- Child lock function
- Dishwasher can hold large plates (about 10.5” in diameter)
- Saves money—you can use half the amount of soap that you would normally use for a conventional dishwasher
- Dishes are cleaned to perfection
- Racks do not hold too many dishes—this is not ideal for a family of four to six
- Cannot fit extra-large dishes in the unit
- Also, if you have small cabinet, it will be hard to fit this unit into.
On another note, one customer had to pay return shipping; was refunded for the product but was not refunded for the return shipping. They could have done customer support better. Also, if you have small cabinet, it will be hard to fit this unit into.
In general, if you are looking for the best dishwasher for your family, the Edge Star dishwasher is an excellent choice. The only major concern would be if you would like to place your dishwasher underneath cabinets in your kitchen. There are many other viable dishwasher options on the Amazon market.
With a family, though, you can feel safe in knowing your curious child will not hurt him/herself in opening the dishwasher. Also, with all those plates to wash on a daily basis, it will be such a comfort having only to buy dishwasher detergent less often. Although it is inconvenient to hand wash the extra-large dishes, this dishwasher will not disappoint. There is large enough room inside for a good-sized load of dishes that have accumulated throughout the day with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You will feel happy knowing this dishwasher is taking good care of your family.
Danby DDW1899BLS 18-inch Built-In Dishwasher Stainless Steel
Overall Rating: 4 stars
- Stainless steel finish has a sleek, modern design—easy to clean with a damp microfiber cloth
- Installation is easy!
- Runs very smoothly and very quietly
- Saves money—only need to use tiny amount of detergent (about one tablespoon)
- Many customers were amazed at the cleaning power
- Salt tray—this is great if you live somewhere that has hard water
- Silverware trays have tops with slots in them—spoons and forks come out super clean! Silverware is locked in place and will not move around during the washing process.
- Product shipment may not be reliable—one customer had a bad dishwasher delivered, and the replacement dishwasher was also bad. Most customers did not have this issue, though.
Although its price is a little on the steep side, the Danby dishwasher is a viable option for someone who would like to add a touch of sophistication to their kitchen. Its stainless steel design will really add to the feel of your contemporary home. The installation is also another plus, meaning that there is very little guesswork in the process. If the price is within your budget, this dishwasher is sure to give you satisfaction.
So there you go, the 5 best dishwashers that are tried and true. They will keep the dishes clean and help you stay frustration free.